Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Recovers from awful shock

This story was published by The Ypsilanti Daily Press on Thursday, March 14, 1907.

Burton Patterson, the electrician who was struck by a high voltage current at the power house Wednesday afternoon is resting easily at the Congress Hotel. There is every indication now that he will entirely recover from his awful experience.

Patterson owes his life to the prompt action taken by fellow workermen at the power house. His fall was broken by Roy Pringie, who was working beside him. Patterson was as stiff as a marble statue when laid on the ground. workmen ran to his side and began the life saving tacties. They are similar to to those employed to resusicitatn persons who have almost drowned. The arms are worked back and forth, to expand the chest, and start respiration and heart action. It was but a few minutes before he showed signs of returning life. A physician arrived and helped on the good work.

Two red spots in the head just above the temple showed where the current had struck the man. The hair was singed, too. Otherwise there were no marks on him.

Pattersonwas placed under opiates, and when he awoke during the night he showed much improvement. He rested well during teh remainder of the night.

It is the opinion of chief Engineer Curtis that Patterson's hair came in contact with the high voltage wire.

"The wire carried 22,840 volts," he said. "A high voltage current will leap but a very short distnace, although when established it may be drawn out to more than a foot. Patterson was a very careful worker. He came here from Detroit and was assisting in installing a new switchboard."


Post a Comment

<< Home