Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Flames drive father out

This story was published by The Ypsilanti Daily Press on Wednesday, February 13, 1907.

William Densmore and his wife (Minerva), who reside at 426 North Huron street, parent of G. W. Densmore, manager of the Washtenaw Telephone Co., were painfully burned early this morning in attempting to extinguish a small blaze which originated in a couch in the parlor. Mr. Densmore leaped from his sick bed to fight the flames which threatened the destruction of his home. Clad only in his night dress, he suffered severely from exposure to the cold weather, and may suffer a setback which may be serious on account of his advanced age.

Mrs. Densmore has been sleeping on the couch in the parlor. When she arose this morning it is thought that in sticking match the head flew off and ignited the fringe of the couch. The fire communicated to the interior of the couch from the underside, making it a difflcult matter to get at it. Mr. and Mrs. Densmore and their daughter, Miss Lucia M. Densmore, principal of the Woodruff school, tried to smother the fire with rugs and blankets.

Failing in this they attempted to carry the couch out of the house. Mr. Densmore went ahead, but the couch could not be moved through the storm door. It stuck fast, and Mr. Densmore in his nightie was a temporary outcast in the almost zero weather. The fire department soon arrived and put out the blaze.

It was found that Mrs. Densmore's dress had caught fire, but little damage was done her. She sustained some painful burns on her hands. Three of Mr. Densmore's fingers were badly blistered. Carpets and curtains were damaged, too.

(Mr. Densmore died at the age of 77, on May 28, 1909.)


Post a Comment

<< Home