mannabouttown

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Farmer's Market

I stopped by the Ypsilanti Farmer's Market on Wednesday for a few minutes, and enjoyed my brief visit. There were venders with nice things to eat, and cute plant holders that have to been seen to enjoyed. There was music, coffee and donuts, so everyone enjoyed healty eating. There was, by the way, a display of healty eating at the market. The market could use a few more venders, and more items to purchase.

I was pleased to learn that someday the bean under the freighthouse is to be replaced, and the walls braced, but still, I am concerned about the future of the market. As much as I enjoy the market, and look back at the many pleasent hours I have spent there, I am worried. We can not return to the good old days of the market. The market must change with the times, and become a self-supporting concern. The city can, and will not fund the market any longer, so the Friends of the Freighthouse will have to come up with a plan for the freighthouse to pay for itself.

2 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am intrigued by your call for the market to become self-sustaining. How do you think this can be accomplished? Detroit's Eastern Market seems to be self-sustaining (and huge). The Ann Arbor Farmer's Market seems to be self-sustaining. Is the difference more business people walking there from the area? Is it better variety? Better coffee nearby? Zingermans? --Maybe it is Zingermans, what would it take for Depot Town to be able to support a Zingermans? Sorry for all the questions and I hope they don't sound either naive or lacking hope. Instead I really am curious.

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Theresa,

Your questions are not naive or lacking in hope, because it is by people like you asking questions that we are taking the first step toward saving the market. I think, and I know I am not along in this, that the freigthouse must be put to greater use, that something must be going on there ever night. Like a Tuesday night game night, with bingo, Wednesday night dances, line and square, and so on. The market can no longer expext outside help, it must now learn to help itself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home