mannabouttown

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Walking Tour

There has been a change in plans for the Heritage Festival Walking Tour, as I am no longer to give the tour of North Huron Street. I will now be giving a tour of Michigan Ave. This is part of the effort to bring more foot traffic to Michigan Ave. The tours will begin in front of Bombadill's at 1:00, 3:00 and 5:00 in the afternoon of Saturday, August 21, 2005.

Now all I have to do is fgure out what I am going to talk about on the tour. Well, I can talk about the tornado of April 12, 1893, which ran down Michigan Ave., the Battle of the Cow sheds, these were wooden awnings that hung over the front of the stories on one side of the street, and the Kresge Building.

I guess I can think of something to talk aobut on the tour.

9 Comments:

At 6:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talk about Boo Radley whose parents built the Ladies Literary Club building. How he couldn't marry till his mother died. And he'd stand for hours on Michigan Ave. in weird clothes.

YD

 
At 7:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for the seggestion. this is the kind of great idea I was hopiong for. I would not have thought of him.

Thank-you,
James

 
At 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would not thought of him if I didn't check your book out at the Library. Thank you. That building should be painted the way it appeared in the photo. Three-toned to look more deep and dark. It is striking with the proper paint back then. More detailed and ominous.

Ypsidweller

 
At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try telling the story fron the same spot he stood in.

 
At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's a weird looking guy. I guess he wanted to be Edgar Allen Poe's body-double in case Poe needed one.

 
At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear James:

I will soon be starting a history oriented job. I have a bit of anxiety. I hope I can succeed. Perhaps we can help each other out in the future with ideas and different historical knowledge. Or perhaps just talk history together some time.

YD

 
At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Opera House and the original French trading-house seem like likely prospects.

Also the Native American burying ground in Riverside Park.

--ypsidixit

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Throw in the humorous poem about traveling on the old Chicago Road. --ypsidixit

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous,

Since you have just started a historical job, I will be more than happy to provide all the help I can. I hope we can arrang a way to get togther and have a talk.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home