mannabouttown

Monday, June 06, 2005

North Hydro Park

I turned my car onto the unpaved road just north of the Water Treatment Plant on Bridge Road, and followed it down the hill to the parking area behind the plant. Here I found a open flat peninsula formed by the curve of the Huron River. Along the river I found a few people fishing, camping, and enjoying the warm Sunday morning. I kept away from everyone, as I had no widh to intrude on their lives.

I walked by the fence that surrounds the plant and studied the buildings on the grounds as best I could. The grounds appear well maintained, the grass is cut and the fence cared for. The buildings on the grounds look to be in good condition, and most likeley could be renovated and put to some profitable use; perhaps as a restaurant or brew pup, or maybe as apartments. Better, I think to renovate the standing structures then demolish them to put in some development that would require the Township to spend a sumof money on sewer, water, and widening the road.

I then walked back up the hill along the fence to Bridge Road, past the power house and found the enterence to South Hydro Park. I walked down a steep path onto the open space across the river from the plant.

Again I followed the river and saw a boater slowly cursing past. Walking by the river I enjoyed watching the flow of the water and stopped to look down. Almost at my feet I saw a muskrat swimming right to where I was standing, its long naked tail streching out behind it. Knowing muskrats can be vicious, I moved quickly away. At the same time I felt thrilled, as I had never been so close to a muskrat before.

I turned to make my way back, and found the open field of the park covered with the globular heads of dandelion seeds, so thick, the field looked to be covered by a light snow fall.

I made my way back to my car, and set off. I know, however, I shall be back, perhaps with a special friend, to enjoy the peace and calm of the park and river.

3 Comments:

At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unbeknownst to you one of your friends (the special one) has a black belt in muskrat-wrasslin'. I'd strongly advise you to take this individual as a personal bodyguard next time you venture into the wilderness around Hydro Park. --The Wrassler

 
At 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Wrassler,

Now that I know of this black belt in muskrat-wrassling' I will never venture near Hydro Park without you. You are still a special friend, even without the black belt in muskrat-wrasslin'.

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And all this time I thought it was the belt that was my chief allure. Live and learn. --The Wrassler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home